[Harp-L] living the blues

Blues life:
I guess I am not wanting to get into the debate or current thread...
but it is hard to resist...
Obviously both good harp players and persons with good points to make....

I have always gravitated to the seedier venues if the music was authentic.
The singers I have followed for decades at a time have coincidently had some pretty
solid addictions and sometimes some potentially harmful behavior.

As a  band member it is hard to separate yourself from the Artist you perform  with and sometimes live with.
Often there is some guilt by association and obviously I am a good enabler
in that I have been able to keep various bands working smoothly as possible.

Inside of all that, people do deserve a second chance.
My next group might be named "second chance"...
I've watched hardcore musicians kick the habits....
One Band Leader ( The late Stu Blank) even called the band "the nasty habits"
It was not whether it would self destruct but rather when....

But I have watched a father be reunited with his children after 12 years
after his "lifestyle" ( mostly just being a working musician) caused him to
to loose his right to visit his own children...Very heart warming....

It is just hard to make it as an artist....So often ...too hard...for the few who are gifted with a deeper sense of things.
I just keep reminding those who I admire and follow ...
You don't have to be a "tortured artist" to become legit....it is almost a cliche'
That is just in the movies....you can be happy and artistic....
My wife is a great photographer...and studies all the great master painters etc...
She laughs at her fellow artist who feel they have to cut off an ear to be authentic....

you don't have to live the songs that you sing.....is a very profound statement....

Thanks for thinking about this...

Grant Walters...