[Harp-L] Re: Swan harps

Robert,

I've tried a Swan diatonic (just one - a gift) and have bought a Swan Bass and a Swan 48 Chord Compact.  The diatonics are certainly at the low price end of the equation and are not robust.  The reeds feel really thin and I cracked a comb (I think it got too hot in the car).

The Bass is reasonable quality but excellent in the 'bangs for the buck' stakes, as its really cheap compared to a Suzuki or Hohner.  But I'm tending to use the Digitech RP350 (with Richard Hunter patches) more than the Bass theses days as that will go down two octaves from a nornal diatonic (I use Lee Oskars, mainly because I learnt on one and am too lazy to change), which is a lot more flexible and easier to play than the 'all blow' Bass.  That's nothing to do with Swan though.

The 48 Chord Compact is very well constructed - its a couple of notches more 'substantial' than the Bass.  It lacks the 4 'octave down' reeds on each chord i.e. they're 4 reed chords, not 8 reed chords like the Hohner.  However, in Oz the Swan is 10% of the price of the Hohner. Not 10% off, but 10% of!  So as a 'test' item' to see how keen I was to pursue chord harmonica playing, the Swan was an affordable starting point.

I haven't tried anyone's chromatics yet (I've got enought on my plate already!) but I am keeping an eye on the Swan 16 hole chromatics - if they get cheap enough on eBay I might buy one as a future 'test vehicle' for chromatics.

So I'd recommend the Swan 48 Chord Compact if you just want to test the concept of chord harmonicas without investing thousands.  The Swan Bass is OK, but I find using the RP350 achieves the same sound (and many additional ones) with a lot less effort. I wouldn't bother with the Swan diatonics.

YMMV
Cheers
Maka