[Harp-L] This reed tuning stuff

There has been some discussion lately about raising pitch by removing metal
from the reed tip and lowering pitch by "attacking " the root. As I have not
yet actually got around to doing either, my opinions on the subject are
purely theoretical. However I do not see myself ever reducing pitch by
scraping the root of a reed.

The reason for this is that the root of a reed is the most highly stressed
part and introducing a stress raiser such as a scratch at this point is
going to increase the likelihood of causing a fatigue failure signalled by
first a crack with consequently lowered pitch and finally complete failure.
Don't ask me how I know!

I purchased a wonderful weapon for Irish Trad from Seydel a year or two ago
- a 12 hole harp with solo tuning. One thing which should have been a
warning was that in the upper (third) octave Seydel were not prepared to
give D in hole 11, but only D #. This was because they could not guarantee
the life of the reed if it were lowered to D. A word to the wise I guess.

I have been very happy with Seydel harmonicas and still am, but the only
reeds I have ever "done in"  were the(bronze) third G on Seydels -
suggesting that the reeds in the top octave are a bit close to the fatigue
limit. My 1847 has proved 'bullet proof' over the past few years and I look
forward to the day when Seydel offer stainless steel reeds in all their
harmonicas. The snag is that applying solder to a stainless steel reed tip
to lower the pitch may be tricky. Come back BlueTak all is forgiven.

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana