Re: [Harp-L] Microphones (Shaker/Madcat Microphone)

Yo Bruce-

Yes, I have personal experience with the Shaker Madcat Microphone.  I am the co-inventor / co- designer along with Joe Harless.  Whenever I play harmonica through a guitar amp I use a Shaker/Madcat microphone.  It is amazingly comfortable to use and it allows the player to be very expressive with their hands since you don't have to hold on to it like a bullet-style microphone.  The microphone element inside is a dynamic element like a Shure 57 or 58 but smaller.  Personally I prefer the tone of a dynamic microphone rather than a crystal microphone or an electret microphone.

Some people don't like it because it has a weaker output than most other harmonica microphones.  Actually I feel this is an advantage since it does not produce the feedback which comes from hot microphones.  It is not hard to get a big strong sound out of a Shaker / Madcat microphone...  All you have to do is turn up the volume at the amp and adjust the tone controls.  No tube swapping is necessary.

The Shaker/Maddog microphone is bigger and clunkier than the Shaker/Madcat.  I personally don't like it.

I have not tried the Honker or the Microvox...

Peter Madcat Ruth
Musician - Grammy Award Winner
madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.madcatmusic.net