Re: [Harp-L] Harrison harps

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Mick Zaklan wrote:

>   Very sad to hear about this because I like the guy personally.  The only
> reason I didn't order one of his harps was that he wasn't making the low key
> instruments.  If I'm not mistaken, Suzuki offered at one time to buy his
> design for a sizable amount of money.  It's possible that they could be the
> new owner.  And Brad used to work for Suzuki, I believe.
>   But it's anybody's guess.  You could make a case for Hohner or Seydel
> aggressively making an offer, too.  If the new owner is an individual, he or
> she had better have deep pockets.  I kind of like the image of Joe Leone
> taking over the business, myself.
>
> Mick Zaklan

Here's an interesting story..or maybe NOT interesting. Depends on your point of view. It was shortly after the fall of the Berlin wall. A harmonica company sent out a flyer and they were looking for apprentices. The deal was that the apprentices would not receive a regular pay check (per se), but would be provided with room, board, and a small stipend of X number of marks per month. (ergo, at the mention of marks, I assumed Germany).

My desire was to apply for a position. I had just enough time in my job that with purchasing into my pension plan for the 3.5 navy years I had as credit, I could receive a small pension. I could live in Germany on the meager amt. provided and the wife would still have enough at home. She wouldn't come with me as she needed to stay home with 2 children in high school and 2 in college.

The idea was for me to do the apprenticeship (approx 4 1/2 to 5 years) and put in an additional 5 to 5 1/2 years, after which the 10 years would put me in good stead to start a harmonica company IN the U.S. My age worked against me. After all, I was pushing 48. No one wants 48 year old apprentices.

I was even planning the trip. I was going to go to the Swiss harmonica convention with SPAH v.p. Norm Dobson, after which I would go on to the harmonica factory. The trip never materialized. The wife was dead set against it. I lost a fortune in the meanwhile (totally unrelated), was technically killed at a prison riot (brought back), and we lost our only son. I retreated into my shell and that was the end of that.

smo-joe