[Harp-L] Curtis Salgado

I went last night to the Biscuit and Blues Club in San Francisco.....( good club to play here)
to see Curtis Salgado....

I've been a fan over the years as the Oregon Trail to San Francisco
has always brought us some amazing players.....
But this was my first time seeing him live...

The funk, the soul, the arrangements.....spot on....

This cat can sing like nobody else.....
The last time I was this taken like this by a male vocalist,
was when I heard Micky Thomas and the Soulful twilights decades ago
Curtis....floored me....with the soul, range and emotion...
even his banter between songs was so smooth.......What a pro.

Yes,there are many good harmonica players in this world...
Yes, some of them can play very soulful, and funky arrangements...
But I have never heard someone dripping with soul, vocal and harmonica, like this....
You could understand and feel every word of every song.

In Hawaii, we call it Chicken Skin music and the Drummer and Bass player
popped the Harmonies and the clouds parted...Gospel perfection....tight, clear,

The Piano player and guitar player were worth the price of admission alone ...masters....the full soul package...
Brother this guy must be seen live with his own band to really understand....

Upstairs from this place is the meeting place for the Golden Gate Blues Society ( I am a member)
yet the crowd was medium....size ( not unlike when I've played there)...
How unfair the universe of music is sometimes.....I warned my friend, it would be sold out...
He looked at me and said, "i guess they forgot to get the word out on this guy"

Just thought I would help spread the good word on one of our national treasures...but you probably know already.

Last thought here....when singing and playing, the value of microphone dynamics/ handling and movement....is an art....
Wow...what an artist.
Here are two Youtubes...1st is harp / 2nd is vocals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6serrxuh1A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_qWJhiLgE

Grant Walters

Noticed Rick Estrin will be on board at this same club for the next few days...with Little  Charlie Baty on guitar...