btw, it's looks like the only part of the HB that is actually hand made is the assembly of the mouthpiece and cover screws.
Even the reed plate nails are attached by machine.

mike
On Apr 30, 2011, at 7:35 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:13:34 -0700
From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Suzuki price increases
To: Bill Kumpe <bkumpe@xxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Take a marine band diatonic or a toaster into a machine shop and ask for a quote. In small quantities, the price will be in hundreds...maybe thousands of dollars. More likely you will be told "we can't do it."

The harmonica is a mass-produced product. None of the machines in a typical machine shop could produce reeds from a blueprint. A machine shop might be able to make a machine to make reeds but not the reeds themselves. Combs and reedplates can be made with conventional presses but require very expensive dies.....

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com