[Harp-L] Followup: digital clipping when recording

Some have asked me to post results of my search to end gritty audio when
recording harp and voice to digital.

DIGITAL CLIPPING
In preparing videos for YouTube, several of my files played back with
un-earthly grit. Not so noticeable with full music, but repulsive during
purely voice content. When the audio is louder than a certain point, the
computer can't convert it to bits of one's and zero's. Distortion in analog
gear can be tolerated, even preferred in some amplifiers, but digital
distortion results in clipping and is unusable.

CULPRIT
Seems embarrassingly simple, now. Just turn down the level. (A kind of "duh"
moment.) In my defense, it took several experiments to find WHERE in the
signal path. [mic to preamp/processor to sound card to software] Within the
Logitech webcam software, I had already de-selected "right sound" automatic
level feature, but when the (manual) microphone level was lowered from 50%
to about 15% I got good results, and output sounded like input. (whew!)

OLD DOG, NEW TRICKS
My professional experience was radio and television broadcasting (old dog),
and I knew the gear and the maladies that could occur. Digital audio
parallels some of the same principles, but has its own characteristics (new
tricks). Now I can play a backing track (accompaniment) from the desktop
while recording live harp and voice.

Hope this helps someone avoid anguish.

Robert Hale
 dukeofwail.com