Re: Subject: [Harp-L] 36 harmonica fests, an overview

On Apr 28, 2011, at 5:19 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Absolutely perfect post about Harmonica fests, Smokey. You hit every nail. I have UTmost respect for the SPAH staff too. Kudos to all of the unsung, behind the scenes hard workers.

Thank you so much Eliz. I didn't hit all the aspects. There are a few people whom I didn't mention. This is because I never actually think of them AFTER thinking 'spah'. I think of them beforehand as they are the people whom I feel are CLOSER than that. Rudy Michelin, Gene Hanson, Roger & Nancy Bale, and Warren Bachman. The other fests also have their OWN 'specials' in my heart.

> I'd solely wish to address this one small point you touched on,if I may?
>
> " b... Someone mentioned the price of gas being a factor. This really isn't. A drive to Garden State entails 100 gal. If the price of gas goes up 10%, that's a difference of $35.oo. The TAXES and other ridiculous charges on the hotel rooms is more than that in only 2 nights." (full post snipped)
>
> ...Great point. And since precisely BECAUSE of the nickel and diming the previous Hotels had been doing to the attendees at Garden State (and herself as GSHC President), Val Redler, together with Phil Caltabellotta as her Co-Chair of the Festival, spent an inordinate amount of time over this past extremely cold Winter seeking out a better venue/more accommodating Hotel for the next Garden State. It took time - their standards and requirements were exceedingly high. As a result, the next Garden State's venue will be even more Festival-friendly with Hotel Rooms costing only $82 a night WITH a hot breakfast (for free) for each attendee. That's a big $25(?)+ difference, enough to perhaps make up for the other typical charges and/or increase in gas prices.  I should add that it's the lowest price I've ever seen for any such Hotel stay here in the Northeast US. This Hotel really wants the convention so should be far more user-friendly.

Garden state never made my matrix of extraneous expenses. There was a reason for this. I flow charted the whole enchilada. Being in THE major metropolitan center in all of North America, the prices there were within reasonable ranges..considering. Try Paris, London, Rome or Tokyo if you need shocked. lol.  But we have had fests in other cities that ranked #1, 3, and 7 on the list of most depressed cities in the U.S. and you would think that these cities would be less inclined to nickel dime.

> ...and one more thought in re 'freezing' Hotels (for any Convention). Has anyone ever spoken to the management of these Hotels ahead of time to explain just how much savings they could realize by NOT setting the indoor temperatures at such extreme levels? It's not only bad for chromatics and valved diatonics,but during a typical SPAH/other Festival, quite common to see a large percentage of the women (and many men) wearing jackets, sweaters or even coats indoors and even forced to exit performances due to the icy air blasting down from the ceiling. Just went through it in Williamsburg and it wasn't at all hot outside. I found it quite difficult to do my usual videorecording of the Saturday night performances because my hands were so cold I was bobbling the camera.

I seem to recall that I brought a few people hot chocolates from the Dunkin Donuts next door because their hands were so cold. But we should quit now because we are getting a little far from 'Harp as a subject in and of itself'.