Re: [Harp-L] Performance setup - hearing and feedback

Welcome to the club! Feedback drives a lot of us nuts. There are lots of
good sources on set up for harp amps - Harmonica for Dummies, for one.
Seriously. Or just Google. Guitar amps are not really ideal for harp,
usually. When using a regular guitar amp, other than a Bassman, perhaps - I
have always used some sort of pre-amp like the Harp Commander. That works
great with a PA too. But those are expensive. Many folks will lay it on the
soundman, but how many places have a soundman? I use a Rocktron Hush pedal
with good results to kill feedback, the new version. I swear I like it
better than the Kinman, which is very expensive and colors your tone in a
way that to me was unacceptable. Others love 'em. My personal solution is to
use a dedicated harp amp, one that has some level of anti-feedback
properties already. Putting them up on a chair or otherwise off the floor
helps. Having them off to the side, rather than right behind you helps.
Right now I can play at a fairly great volume, no need for a mic in fairly
large clubs, using just those simple techniques - after a lot of trial and
error and money spent. You are wise to ask first and invest second. Good
luck with it, you will find a way.