RE: [Harp-L] question about mic connection

"Degregorio, Jeffery" wrote:
<I'm kinda new to this (regarding hardware setups), but I'm looking to
<get an RP355/RP255 (guitar processor) and future patches for harmonica
<sometime in the next few weeks.  With what you're saying, is it the best
<solution to using 1/4" input (I believe the only input option for RP355)
<for the RP355 using a dual XLR mike/connection using the IMT?  Any
<tips/concerns to consider regarding this?

I would definitely recommend an RP355, it's just got more good stuff in it than the 255--the EQ in particular is more flexible in the 355, and stomp box mode is only available on the 355. But if money is really an issue, a 255 will give you plenty to work with, especially if your tastes run to traditional amped blues.  By the way, zzounds.com is selling B-stock RP255s right now for about $108, which is a good deal considering that they come with full factory warranty.

Regarding the input to the RP355, I have no idea what a "dual XLR mike/connection using the IMT" is.  You're correct that the only input that RP355 accepts is a 1/4" instrument cable. If your mic is a lo-z mic (which it probably is if the connector on it is XLR), then you need:
- an XLR cable
- an IMT at the end of the cable that goes to the RP355.

So: you plug the XLR cable into the mic.  You plug the XLR side of the IMT into the other end of the mic cable.  You plug the 1/4" side of the IMT into the RP355. Done.

Substitute "your favorite guitar amp" for "the RP355" in the sentence above and the advice is still valid.

By the way, you can make a cheap "rat tail" for any IMT by buying a 1/4" female-to-female connector at radio shack for a few dollars.  Then plug the IMT into one end of the connector, and any 1/4" cable into the other end, after which you can plug the free end of the 1/4" cable into your RP or amp, and get all the strain-relieving goodness of a rat tail at a reduced price.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick