[Harp-L] RE: Spah: what a great thread

I went to Sacramento  Spah Convention two years ago and it was fantastic ,
and mobbed.  It was great to see my freinds, meet new ones,
and to play guitar for anyone who would jam with me.  (I love doing that).

My personal problem with spah is that I like to make music, and ironic as it
sounds, there is so much music, that most people who attend don't get to play.
There's a few stars and everyone else (even local stars) are just schmucks..

There's just too much of a good thing, but if you are not self-asserting,
and even if you are, the experience can be frustrating.

On the other hand, what a great experience for learning how much you don't
know, and getting your ego stripped.  And of course making friends and hearing the
best. Yesterday, as we were complimenting each other, Harmonica John said to me,
"You got good from Jam Camp, and I got good from Spah."

 SPAH is a VERY powerful experience.

And so is Harmonica John!

About Buckeye:

I think that Jack Ely was Buckeye,  and with him, went that particular
festival. It takes a lot of determination and risk to put on these events. I do not think it
signals the demise of harmonica events in the least,  or danger for Spah, if people step
forward to help the organization adapt.

Harp love and festivals are happening all over.

In fact, I helped out on a very cool one in San Diego yesterday. Thank you
John Frazer et al) Spring  Harpfest was amazing. Great local players all day in a beautiful
park,  with about five hundred to a thousand in attendance...

And the day before, I  did a  7 hour workshop  and jam for $40 that raised
$1200 for the Sonny Boy Club and for San Diegos Blues for the Schoolos
 and probably got me some new Jam Campers.

It was wonderful! But beyond that...

How about Adam Gussow and his Hill Country harmonica? He had 150 people
at his event last year,

John Hall has continued with his
Bean Blossom Festival, am I not right?

A few years there was a wonderful Birmingham Harmonica Festival,
and Addison Hitchcock who put that on.

And the Elkins Event in Virginia.

What is needed is people like Jack Ely, or John Frazer,  John Hall, Addison
Hitchcock or the countless others who create an event that uses the harp to create
community and play it.

Someone suggested that localized gatherings might be the way to go, and yes,
they are the way to go, and charity, unless you want to take on  risk and headache of a business.
Travel changes everything.That's when the artist needs money, and money changes everything.

Blues and music is too much about the stars.  Look to  Harmonica John Frazer
for advice on how to create a GREAT show of local talent nd build a
wonderful community event where the music is center stage.

Ideas On Spah:

Spah is Fine.  I think it is the fundation of the worldwide harmonica
community.

I would like to see both Jack and Chris memorialized by Spah with awards
named after them.

For Richard Hunter's concern about the young people:

I think we just have to acknowledge that as a  community  losing Chris, was
a tremendous blow.

Could not Spah use some of its funds to set up a Scholarship to a young
person to the Spah Convention?

The Chris Michalek Scholarship and use it to bring  talented young and poor
kids to the Spah?

Chris started a lot of young genius' to play advanced harp.

Maybe his  younger protogees can be given a room and a band and they can do
their seminar within the Spah Seminar.

As for Steve wondering about Jam Camp and Spah...

If Spah wants the Gindick experience, my phone is 310-457-8278.

Jon