[Harp-L] Re: (Harp-L) SPAH Conventions and the 39th GSHC Festival

After reading all of the different opinions about how to have a successful festival, I'd
like to mention after having attended GSHC Festivals, Buckeye's Festivals, Danny G's Party, Alabama's Festival,
the Rocky Mountain Mile High Festival in Colorado and
the Yellow Pine Harmonica Festival and Contest in Idaho, there is
certainly something for everyone! The largest was held at YP with up to 5,000 attendees
at one point; the majority of them camping out.

Having been at many GSHC Festivals over the years and now being in charge of the last two
with Phil Caltabellotta, I'd like to reassure you that SPAH is not the "last major gathering
in the U.S" as quoted by Larry Eisenberg below.

"With the demise of Buckeye, etc, it appears that SPAH is the last major
gathering in the US. I hope they always increase membership and attendance
through successful concepts and constantly attract new members, young and old,
into the fold".

Just want to let you all know that we are alive and well with our 39th Festival
in motion for Nov.3-5 at the Ramada Conference Center in East Hanover, NJ with updated
details on Harp-L's International Gig List monitored by the very attentive Danny Wilson.
The GSHC did indeed, suffer a setback in 2008 when its festival was canceled at the last minute.

After that, I was elected President and Phil and I took over the role
as co-chair of the festival in 2009 and 2010. To the delight of all we reinvented the "new"
GSHC Festival keeping elements of the old and spicing it up with the new. In 2009, we had 250
attendees over 3 days and had the pleasure of having GSHC members Rob Paparozzi and
Dennis Gruenling perform, along with Al and Judy Smith, Chris Bauer
Stan Harper, the HarpBeats; Jia-Yi He and had jazz jams and blues jams
(hosted by Buzz Krantz and Warren Bee)
as well as a surprise visit and performance by Howard Levy.

We had another very successful 38th Festival this past year that included among the performers,
Ron Kalina and Hendrik Meurkens, while we all celebrated the 25th anniversary of Al and Judy
Smith, who had met at one of the previous GSHC festivals. There are many wonderful memories
to take home with us. We keep this in mind as planning now takes place for the 39th Festival.
At this point, performers include Dennis Cooper, Tom Stryker, Dennis Gruenling, Rob Paparozzi,
Hal Walker, Enrico Granafei,The Sgro Brothers and more! We have been called a smaller version
of SPAH and offer great entertainment, seminars and workshops,
free harp repair, blues and jazz jams, a Matinee
show. classes for children and a cocktail party and Sat.night
gala dinner and show.

All we need is a commitment from you to register for a fabulous 3 day festival. We are a viable,
growing club with many new members and one can join for $25 to support the harmonica and
enable us to have two meetings a month, a monthly newsletter,The Reed and support for
us to offer a wonderful fun and educational harmonica festival every year.
Help us to celebrate our 40th year this September and hope you will attend our festival!

Val Redler,
President,GSHC
www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org
gardenstateharmonicaclub@hotmail