[Harp-L] Re: SS vs. Brass vs. Phosphor Bronze Reeds

There are lengths to be taken with brass reeds to eliminate some of
the need to retune them so often.  However, there are any number of
"mods" one can perform and that isn't the point here, maybe.  I am on
the same page as Boris with this one.  I don't often have issues with
my personal harps, but I have yet to find any evidence IME that any
change in material or mass manufacturing has eliminated this
frustration a noticeable percent.

Stainless steel will fatigue.  It will go out of tune.  The reeds can
be damaged beyond repair.  How this transpires is very dependent on
the player and if they've modified their harp from stock.  I also
think changes in alloys over time has created reputations for some
brands that maybe aren't as true at this time, but at one time were.

At the end of the day, I don't have to tune as much as a guitar
player.  When I do, it is a lot more work.  It is always sad to hear a
good harp go bad.  Harps going out of tune might be a good metaphor
for life.