RE: [Harp-L] Playing chromatically on a diatonic harp?

Frankly, it is just my own opinion, but I don't understand why this kind of
question raises once in a while.
I mean, if I am asked why I don't use a button harp, I will wonder why I
don't use a saxophone.
BTW I don't think a sax player wonders if he should use a trumpet instead.
He would learn the trumpet if he wants to, but it is not in comparison to
his own actual instrument.
I can understand that you play an instrument and want to improve on it.
I can understand that you play an instrument and want to play another one.
But I don't really get the fact that you play an instrument and people would
like you to wonder why you wouldn't play another instrument.

I confirm that it is possible to play Charlie Parker smoothly on a diatonic
harp, with no doubt.
I won't say I'm the best example because I'm not. Which doesn't mean it is
not possible.
I play some of his tunes (Blues for Alice being one of them, and I used to
play Yardbird Suite & Donna Lee many years ago).
I know it is possible because I can feel, while improving, that it is just a
question of work and time.
And I know it because I have listened to Sebastien Charlier playing Donna
Lee, Ornithology, etc.
I've begun to work out his solos on his last Album, Precious Time. It is
modern Jazz, mixing scales, all kind of arpeggios, and complex
melodic/harmonic lines, in all keys.
And it goes extremely fast !!!!
But when S. Charlier plays, you don't hear any kind of strange noise. It is
totally smooth.

So I would conclude : let's give people the freedom to choose their
instrument and let them work fairly, to give the best they can on their
instrument.
Then, let's just take pleasure in listening to their music.

I don't want to create a new polemic, it is just my opinion on this subject,
and it does not have much value.

Regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse