[Harp-L] Advice needed on retuning vs position playing

Hi,

I prefer playing in 2nd postion and am much more fluent in it than any other
by a long shot when it comes to improvising.

I use circular tuned diatonic harps which have a complete major scale
without bending starting on 2 draw (2nd position). All 6 other musical modes
are available built in to the harp without bending in other positions. This
is great for melodies, fiddle tunes, even blues in the myxolydian mode (hole
4 draw root note), etc.

But, when I it comes to improvising on these melodes in other positions
(which I love to do) I wish I had the familiarity of 2nd position. I am
resisting learning all my 2nd position licks in other positions.

So, instead I have done retuning jobs to put my circular harps in minor,
myxolydian, and now the dorian modes n 2nd position with the 2 draw as the
root note.

Now I can jam and play chords in familiar home turf.
This is a big commitment to retune and relearn tunes in 2nd position but I
am liking it so far.

This does mean having a lot more harps but I am trying to limit it to just
the keys I really need.

Does anybody do anything similar? (I know you can buy Richter based harmonic
minor and melody maker tunings with the root note in 2 position but my harps
are circular tuning based rather than Richter based)

Any obvious advantages or disadvantages to anyone?

Any comments?

Thanks for reading!
Rich