[Harp-L] Valving vs. Overblowing/Overdrawing

So, when I was making my Smo' Joe tuned harps, I learned how to valve draw-5 so that you can blow-bend 5 to get Eb (on a C harp). It's pretty easy. And I got a PowerBender, and valved draw 2, 7, 9,and 10 to get the "in-between" notes on that harp.

Does it work to valve the blow reeds at the top end of a Richter-tuned harp to get Db and Ab (on a C harp)?

Blow bending with valves seems easier to execute than overblowing and overdrawing. Why does overblowing/overdrawing seem so much more prevalent? Are there cons to valving that I don't know about? Is it "cheating" to use the easier technique for getting those notes? Supposing I wanted to use valves *until* I got good enough to overblow/ overdraw as if it were "just another bend", can you overblow a chamber that has a valve on it? Is there any reason not to just valve everything relevant on all my harps?

I found a hammer. Everything looks like a nail at the moment. Except I have this nagging feeling that I *ought* to know better. What am I missing?

Elizabeth