Subject: Re: [Harp-L] airport security

I'm not sure it's quite 'an easy pass', Steve. They DO give my  harmonicas
a really hard and thorough look, stopping the machine and taking  a fairly
long time scanning the cases. They also put my purse (with the  other 2 or 3
inside) through the machine and scan that slowly as well.

By fore-warning the Agents about them I've avoided having everything
emptied out because they then know what to look for as it relates to  harmonicas.
I'm more concerned about CX-12's which (being radically  different from a
standard chromatic) have to be fairly new to what they know a  harmonica to
look like, since I carry several of those.  They're what prompted me to begin
my heads-up to the TSA people in the  first place. At times they have taken
some items out of my carry-on Rolly bag (2  cameras, harpcase,tripod, etc.
which are packed in fairly tightly), but  have usually put them back for me
by the time I reach the end of the scan line.

My one really bad experience going through the machines was after
Bonfiglio's Seminar at the Grand Canyon when 95% of my film (several rolls) were
fried. The remaining few shots left on my fabulous old Nikon (refurbished
just for that trip) were SO good it hurt realizing how much I probably  lost.

Leaving Phoenix a TSA agent also took out every single item in my
pocketbook to examine. It took so long I nearly missed my flight. 'Tis the  reason I
now prepare thoroughly prior to each trip and label everything which  could
possibly be questioned, including the 'harmonica repair  kit' (using a
Brother label maker) and make sure to place that face up (in  checked baggage,
of course). I've had physical difficulties  travelling because of various
problems so using commonsense and  being proactive has paid off.

Elizabeth

"Message: 2