RE: [Harp-L] Inverted notes on major scale at hole 7

Good call Michael. Thanks for the comment. I love the Meat and Potatoes
Lessons, by the way. Keep them coming

-----Original Message-----
From: michael rubin [mailto:michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:07 PM
To: Joe Phillips
Cc: Rodrigo G. Reis; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Inverted notes on major scale at hole 7

Joe, I agree with your answer but I am going to put my own spin on it.

The blow notes on a C harp are a repeating pattern, C E G C E G C E G
C.  Those are the notes in a C major chord.  It does not matter which
order you play them in, it is still a C major chord.  So you could
play C E G or E G C or G C E and it is still a C major chord.  That
means any 3 consecutive blow notes make up a C major chord.  That
means if you are playing in the key of C major, focus on the blow
notes and you will be playing notes that are in the main chord the
rhythm players are playing.  You will harmonize.  This is basic
straight harp or first position theory.

In order for this to work, both 4 blow and 7 blow must be the note C.

There are 4 holes from holes 4 to 7. They are holes 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Before bending and overblowing were discovered, when RIchter decided
which notes to choose, he put 2 notes in each hole, the blow note and
the draw note.  If there are 4 holes and 2 notes per hole, that makes
a total of 8 notes in holes 4 through 7 using the original design
without bends or overblows, because 4 times 2 is 8.

The do re mi fa so la ti do scale has 8 notes in it.  The first and
the last note are both "do".  They are the same note.

I assume Richter wanted to fit an entire do re mi fa so la ti do scale
in holes 4 through 7. I also assumed he also wanted to keep 4 blow and
7 blow the note C, which is required to make the chord theory in the
2nd paragraph work.

In order to do this he had to make holes 4 5 and 6 have the lower
pitch in the blow hole and the higher pitch in the draw hole.  But to
make 7 blow be the highest pitch of the scale, the do note, or the C
note, he had to reverse which of the blow or the draw note was high
and low.  He made 7 draw low and 7 blow high.

He continued his pattern throughout the rest of the harp.  Holes 1
through 6 would therefore have the blow note be lower than the draw
note.  Holes 7 through 10 would have the draw note be lower than the
blow note.

Hope that helps.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Joe Phillips
<jphillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's so that the blow/draw pattern remains the same for all scale
> intervals as you ascend up the Richter-tuned harp. Otherwise, the
> pattern would change at hole 7 when the next blow note would be D (on
> C harp) instead of C. Also, one of the key advantages to Richter
tuning,
> the accessibility of chords would be impaired. You'd no longer have
the
> major chord of the key under all the blow notes.

Messages may contain privileged or confidential information. Email
received or sent from Kellner DiLeo & Co or its direct and indirect
affiliates is subject to review by supervisory personnel. Such email is
retained and may be produced to regulatory authorities or others with
legal rights to the information. This email, including any attachments,
has been scanned for viruses. It is believed to be free of any virus or
other defect that might affect any computer into which it is received
and opened. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that it is virus free. The sender accepts no responsibility for any loss
or damage arising in any way from its use.