Re: [Harp-L] Virtues vs liabilities of weighting the rivet end

Joe has described the best way.

 Adding solder near the tip to lower pitch works because the object is simply to add weight.  Placing solder near the rivet to increase stiffness may raise the pitch but is likely to diminish the responsiveness of the reed. This is because the solder isn't springy and will absorb vibrational energy.  The highest stresses occur near the surface and the low strength of the solder might lead to early cracking.  It is not an appealing solution from an engineering point of view.

Vern