[Harp-L] RE: Authentic Pronunciation

Now that was a good read, Bill. For anyone interested in this topic, I recommend this BBC programme, which may or may not be available in the US. Both UK and US regional accents are discussed; not in a musical sense, but it's certainly relevant to this discussion so far. The programme is only up to part two, and there are four parts, so you may have to follow it over a few days. I've found it pretty amusing so far, especially the American woman trying to get her kids to speak 'properly', ie not with the mid -western accent that they'd been absorbing after a move; there IS a difference to my ear, but probably about as much as the difference between a New Zealand and Australian accent to an American or English ear; nuthin' to you lot, but huge to us Aussies and Kiwis.
This is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009t25h

RD

>>> "Bill Kumpe" <bkumpe@xxxxxxx> 30/09/2010 1:29 >>>
What I think the original poster was alluding to was fake accents.  As a
proud southerner who enjoys the sound of the various dialects, when singers,
actors or anyone else tries to fake a southern accent it sets my teeth on
edge.  I am particularly annoyed by people who adopt a fake southern, black
or hip hop accent when they are trying to be tough.  I will fully admit that
over educated, closet hillbilly/river bottom types like myself slow down,
lose our city accent and revert to cornpone speech when we are angry.  And
yes, when that happens, it is a good sign that all hell is about to break
loose.  Take my word for it, when a suit with a carefully manicured college
dialect suddenly turns grits, watch out.  Same for any other ethnic group.
But, when somebody else tries to fake it, it just sounds pretentious. I
think that applies to music as well.

We have an old journeyman country musician here in town named Robert Smith.
Guitar player and singer.  Knows everybody.  Great guy.  Played around town
forever.  One night an enthusiastic young white kid was blathering on about
his multi cultural influences when Robert told him gently, "Kid why don't
you just try being a good you for a change?"  Good advice.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK