Re: [Harp-L] "Authentic" pronunciation?

On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Michael Peloquin wrote:

It doesn't bother me... do the same singers bother you when you hear them before you have seen them?
Have you ever heard the Japanese do blues and country music? They learn their English phonetically and sound pretty spot on cool.
Also, what is with all the British singers that sound American when they sing?
Why should we have a problem with singers that sound "Black" when we don't really want to hear blues instrumentalists sound "White"?
There is a lot of copying and influence by of a handful of Black blues harmonica masters right here on Harp-l. Does the same standard not apply to singing?
I want to hear Smokey Joe and the Imitations!!! - I hear they have a great harp player with reeds made from old razor blades!

Michael Peloquin http://www.usaharmonicas.com http://harpsax.com http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax

Interesting/non interesting story: Last Feb I was on the Jewel of the Seas on a cruise to So. & Cen. America. Played on the ship, played at the Hard Rock Cartegena. So we had this singer on the ship. She was one of the best torch singers I have ever heard. Even did 'scat'. She was Bulgarian. Didn't speak but 6 words of English. Absolutely NO accent when she sang. Sounded like a cross between Nancy Wilson and Dionne Warwick. Talk about spinning my head until my brains splashed down into my shoe laces. She sure made a Christian out of me. I SAW the light. lol

Couple years ago on a trip up the Danube and down the Mainz & Rhine, the little river boat 'Viking Pride' only held 180 passengers. So, naturally the entertainment was sparse. A one man band in fact. While we DID have groups come aboard in several of the larger cities, (Bratislava, Buda-Pesht, Wien, Passau, Cologne, Amsteldam, yada yada), he did a preeeety good job nightly on guitar, keyboard, vocals, and backing tracks. His name was Randy something unpronounceable
(Like Prczemvsechikowsky, or something like that). He had a heavy Hungarian accent. He was eLATED when I offered to sit in with him. We wound up spending 21 GREAT nights entertaining the passengers in the lounge. No pressure. Just fun. A very appreciative well-heeled crowd. His accent didn't bother me as he would jump from Elton John to Frank Sinatra to the Eagles, with reckless abandon. lol and THEN some

Funny about music...the international language. smokey-joe