[Harp-L] Ethnic Blues Sounds

On Sep 26, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Ken Deifik wrote: What absolutely kills a
record for me is to hear a white American band playing well in the first few
bars, followed by a white singer who tries to use English like a Black
Mississippi man from 1930.  I run away screaming, often leaving a
Deifik-shaped hole in the drywall.

------------------------------------

If it's authentic I don't mind.  A New Orleans native is going to sound like
a New Orleans native no matter what color his skin is and the patois whether
spoken or sung will fall softly upon the ears.  Same for the other southern
dialects in large part from Piedmont to Delta.  Sure there will be ethnic
differences but it sill sounds good.

I would really like to see more modern bluesmen covering the historic white
bluesmen of the twenties and thirties.  Sure, it has a country twang but IT
IS BLUES.  Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Gene-Autry-Blues-Singer-1929-1931/dp/B000002AEO

And BTW, if you try some of this stuff, a harp makes a great replacement for
the yodel.

Blues purists, please reserve your flames for someone who cares.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK