[Harp-L] Slowing Down Software

No one has mentioned "Transcribe" from an outfit called (I think) 7th
String?
I bought this software some time ago on Rick Epping's recommendation. It was
not outrageously expensive.
Transcribe can lower the speed without  changing pitch, but it will also
change the key if required, which can be handy if you don't have a ship's
trunk full of harps in different keys, or if you have difficulty with twenty
fifth position.
I found that the software did evereything it was supposed to, although
finding and changing to the key I required was a bit of a challenge. Like
everything else unfortunately it needs practice.
Some one else has remarked that Windows Media Player has a slowing down
feature. I was amazed when a "classmate" told me about this a year or two
ago. I checked and it is there alright.
Another non-computer slow down device which some one was kind enough to tell
me about is the humble cassette dictating machine. Many of these recorders
have a two speed feature - one of the speeds being half the other. When you
record at the high speed and play back at the lower you lower the pitch by
one octave but retain the same key.
If all this is too much for you there are (for Irish trad at least) a number
of slowed down learner CDs available. Dusty Banjos in Galway are one source
and I found another one on the internet (I forget where) from which I was
able to download a few slowed down tunes.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana