[Harp-L] Harmonica information

You guys who are overwhelmed by the abundance of harmonica information don't
know how lucky you are.
When I attempted my first meal on the tin sandwich sixty odd years ago the
only teaching resource available was Captain T. Reilly's Chromatic Harmonica
Tutor. This worthy volume - which I still have and refer to now and again -
told me that tongue blocking and the chromatic were the only way to go. I
fear that this dogmatic approach may be still lodged somewhere in my
subconscious, notwithstanding subsequent exposure to the delights and
possibilities of the blues harp when played by a competent performer.
As regards Robert Bonifiglio's remarks about the advantages of having a real
live teacher, I know exactly what he means. My first brief experience of
workshops with Mick Kinsella and Rick Epping taught me more in an hour or
two than a library of books. For instance that you do not blow and suck a
harmonica. You breathe through it. Also that trying to play the harmonica
without involving all your airways right down to your diaphragm is akin to
fixing four violin strings to a 2 x4 and expecting to produce a tone like a
Stradivarius. Having said all that, I have also have to admit to picking up
a few useful tips from little tutor items on YouTube. The internet is a
great resource - not least in the nuggets of information which surface on
this list from time to time.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana