Re: [Harp-L] VHT Special 6 amp- impressive

Good info. The back panel sticking is common of Chinese amps like Valve Jr.s It's because they are rapidly produced and the tolex is glued on the back panel and then put in place immediately before the glue sets up and then squeezes out onto the cabinet body. On the Valve Jr.s that I've found like this, rocking a slim putty knife back and forth around the slot between the panel and the cabinet will free it up.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Rossen" <jimjimdr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:46 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] VHT Special 6 amp- impressive

This is a 6v6 x 1, 12 ax7 x 1, 10 in speaker, single knob tone combo
that is hand wired eyelet (Fender style) construction made in China,
sold on line for around $200.  Mike Fugazzi reported his observations
on some boards recently. I played a brand new one today and am very
impressed. Almost seems like an amp intended for harmonica.  Excellent
tone and no feedback up to surprisingly loud. The half power switch
and boost control provide a useful variety of tones.  The half power
switch reduces the volume and rolls off the highs to much but this can
be remedied by turning up the tone.  The boost and half power switch
together produce lots of distortion with reasonable feedback
resistance.  My effort to inspect the circuitry and try different
tubes was hampered by a screen in the pack panel opening preventing
access to the innards, and inability to get the back panel off!  Stuck
like it was glued!
This amp is one of the best small harp amps I have tried, irrespective
of price.

Jim R