[Harp-L] Re. Powerbender Based Tuning

@Rob Paparazzi: Thanks for your comments Rob. Can't wait to hear what you
come up with on the PowerBender. I think it will really suit your jazz
sensibilities.

I agree: tunings should not be patented, but they should be credited to the
inventor.

Arthur Jennings wrote: "I think Gary is right that this tuning (two 6th
chords a whole tone apart) is basically the Magic Bop tuning which was
invented several years ago by Richard "*Magic Dick*" Salwitz."

Not so - it's called the Power Chromatic Tuning (see my earlier post). It
was invented by me and used on gigs and recordings all through the 1980s. I
used different variations, but mostly the double sixth chord (that's still
the tuning on 90% of the chromatics in my harp case today). I used a hybrid
diatonic version called Regular Breath Tuning on my 1884 album 'Country
Harmonica', and the first recording using the full tuning on chromatic was
'State of the Harp', recorded in 1989, released 1990 - two years before the
Salwitz/Beauregard patent.

In addition to featuring Power Chromatic Tuning, State of the Harp was the
first album to use half-valved chromatics. Check out these clips, all in
Power Chromatic tuning or variations:

http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/State%20of%20the%20Harp/30/SOTH-0
2.mp3
http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/State%20of%20the%20Harp/30/SOTH-0
3.mp3
http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/State%20of%20the%20Harp/30/SOTH-0
7.mp3
http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/State%20of%20the%20Harp/30/SOTH-0
9.mp3

My recordings with the tuning in both diatonic and chromatic versions (I
have many more from that period) prior to the Salwitz/Beauregard patent
nullify not only their claim to have patented that particular tuning, but
the entire basis of their patent - which was to claim ALL tunings that had
the draw reed above the blow reed in seven or more consecutive holes!!

What the inspectors at the US Patent Office were thinking when they awarded
it is an enduring mystery; it should have been thrown out immediately.
Whatever, my recordings show it to be entirely baseless. Both my 11 hole
diatonics and 12 and 16 hole chromatics had every draw above every blow note
(except in the top hole in some cases). Not only that, the Diminished and
Whole Tone Tunings had been patented years before, and both of them have
every draw a tone above every blow. Obviously the US Patent Office
inspectors were very ignorant, or lazy, or both.

I think most people would agree that the person who invents something has
the right to name it. Unless someone comes up with recorded evidence that
the tuning Daniel shows in his post was around before I created it in 1978,
I claim to be the inventor. It's name is Power Chromatic Tuning.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic