[Harp-L] Re: Can one make a living playing harp? (Long)

I concur with Grant's comments and experience.  I had the opportunity
to joing an established band a few years ago.  The lead guitarist/
singer was clearly the leader and wanted it that way.  I was fine with
this and just loved being a part of a good band and getting to play
harp (and getting paid to do it!).  It was a dream come true for me
after 25 years of closet playing and the occassional jam.  I just
listened, watched, and learned.  When the lead guy became ill and had
to step away from the band I decided I was going to do everything I
could to keep this dream experience alive and the band together.  Our
other guitarist and I (mostly me) completely revamped our song catalog
to songs we liked and could sing and worked it all out over a few
months.  Suddenly I was the lead singer too!  Something I had never
set out to become.  Out from under the shadow of the previous lead
guitarist, her playing just blossomed.  I took over managing the PA
setup and most of the promotion/business end.  We emerged from this
"shake-up" a better band with a better sound, energy, and rapport (and
no egos!).  In this case the democratic method worked out well after
having been under a dictator.  We were a happier more motivated band.
This positive energy resulted in some really nice collaboration on
original tunes as well.

Now I am by far the least talented musician in the band but I was
willing to work hard to keep this band together.  My band mates do
respect and appreciate me for this.  I am convinced that we would have
fell apart if I hadn't stepped up.  My wife, kids, and I have made
some of the best friends of our lives through this experience.  I am
having an ongoing musical experience that has far exceeded my muscial
fantasies.

This experience has not allowed me to play music full time, that is
not my goal and probably not my potential.  I'm playing just the right
amount to have fun, improve, and still hold down a good job, be a good
family man, and cast a fly once in awhile.  But my experience does
support the input that Rob P., Rob B. and others have stated here.
First you have to do it for the love of playing and then be willing to
do more than play (lug, drive, promote, write, sing, dance?, etc.).

Glenn Woodhouse
The ColdRail Blues Band
www.ColdRail.com