[Harp-L] Subject: Looping

Anyone here heard of or seen Emily Wells in action?  She's quite
interesting and amazing...oddly mesmerizing. No harp content, but very  interesting
if you're talking about looping and dubbing...she uses old synths  and 'toy'
instruments along with her violin. Very cool stuff here. Has a large
following in real life as well as on YouTube.

These two videos are from a live performance at KRCL studios in Salt  Lake
City...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWto4xiCcw&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWto4xiCcw&feature=related)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6e2wOt1E2Y&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6e2wOt1E2Y&feature=related)

and at the Calgary Folk Festival - with a real explanation of her
'system'...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOKeAL68BIA&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOKeAL68BIA&feature=related)

Elizabeth

here's a bio:

'The wonderfully talented Emily Wells has been described as "the musician
who  will crush any preconceived notions you ever had about classical music
and hip  hop." Emily Wells' songwriting combines electronics, orchestral
strings, jazz  structures, pop sensibilities, and vibrato-laden vocals into one
eclectic  package. A former child prodigy, she began fielding offers from
record labels  during her teenage years. Wells balked at the idea of
relinquishing creative  control to a team of producers, however, and independently
toured the country to  support her music instead.
Interviewer: "- So Emily, I understand that you play many instruments;
unusual, toy instruments, etc. Can you name a few favorites?
Emily Wells: My  main instrument is the violin. I'm also really into little
toy instruments. I  have a few toy pianos and always bring one on the road
with me. I have little  glockenspiels, I love analog synthesizers, old
synthesizers, old drum machines  ... anything that I can sample â I'm into. I
really like the combination between  real instruments and electronic stuff. I
also like the uke a lot ... [The  Melodica is] a really cool instrument. You
can kinda make a sound like an  accordion because its got air going through.
You can play chords just like you  would on an accordion, but you can also
play single notes.
Interviewer: - Is  there anything weird, funny, a lucky charm that you
always bring on the road  when you tour?
EW: Okay, this is really embarrassing. I'm not proud of  this at all. Let
me preface it with that. I have this lucky pair of socks that I  always wear
on stage. On the socks, it says I'm too sexy. I wear them at every  single
show that I play which on the road can get kinda gnarly you gotta do a
little sink wash. I cant believe I just told you that. I've never told any
[interviewer] that. You made me all comfortable."