Re: [Harp-L] "Oh Girl" position

On Sep 18, 2010, at 6:16 PM, JohnnieHarp wrote:

... saw the Chi-Lites perform this on a PBS Doo Wop type special
within the last few years ... what they used during their performance
was a melodica rather than a harmonica ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodica

What year Johnnie? That would be an important factor. Walking backwards through my mind, I seem to recall that this tune was originally done in around the early 70s.
I don't think they had music videos back then but by early 80s they DID. I remember taking the family on vacation to St. Augustine, and the motel had MTV.
While the wife & son were enjoying the pool, the girls were watching MTV. I came in to check on them and happened to catch a video that was just starting.

A large black woman who looked for all the world like Wilhelmina Mae Thornton was dipping a Hohner 270 into a glass of water. Then she shook it out and began to play it in a warbling fashion. I took that to be because there was still water in the chromatic. The tune was 'Oh Girl'. I stayed and watched it because I had seen Willie Mae live back in the 60s in Louisiana. So in the early 80s, Willie Mae was still alive. Now here are a couple factors that don't jive.

1... dipping a wood combed chromatic is a no no, and I don't think she would have done that...voluntarily.
2... it sounds like a harmonica. There is evidence of muting/hand cupping and 'Pulling' or milking the reeds.
I don't think that works on a melodica. Melodica is used on the movie 'Endless Summer, and the timbre isn't close
3... Melodicas are all blow instruments. I hear evidence of slight bending.

This bears scrutiny... smo-joe