Re: [Harp-L] Band Rehearsals -- What is your formula?

In a message dated 16/09/2010 22:46:10 Malay Peninsula Standard Time,
bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Blues is easy, alright... It is easy to play badly. My philosophy  about
practice is a sports analogy:  When I played varsity sports we  practiced
hard as a team, and when we were well prepared we did  well.

How often does your band practice?  When you do practice, what  is the
formula?

Blues is NOT easy...But YES it is easy to play blues,  badly!

The BEST thing is for a band to play 5 or 6 nights a week to an  audience,
and then practice for 3 or 4 hours those  days that you are not  gigging.
When I've been touring with ...Gosh... Oh so many bands now... I have
ALWAYS said "Let's learn AT LEAST one new song, or new piece every week. That
keeps the music FRESH.
I'll be honest, I don't enjoy practicing very much. I'm simply  ADICTED to
being in the "limelight!"

BUT practice is ESSENTIAL.

HOWEVER... Several times I've joined groups who have fallen into "PRACTICE
MODE"... Practicing 5 or 6 times a week without giging. That  DOESN'T make
the music better. It just makes the music stale.

Find an AUDIENCE... A pub, a coffee shop... Even in a subway station.
PERFORM... That will make your music good.

AND IF IT ISN'T, THE AUDIENCE WON'T HANG AROUND.

Best wishes,

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines