Subject: Re: [Harp-L] gig (about solos)

Guess it's all in one's taste. My experience is so opposite to yours...I
can't get enough of Jason's playing, and he hasn't yet 'worn me out' in 6
years.  Despite being to so many of his shows, I'd always still look  forward
to the next one with great eagerness although many other pro  harmonica
players still have the ability to leave me quite  bored...even to putting me to
sleep with their solos. I'm chafing while  waiting for J to recoup and get
back to playing although I love him enough  I care more for his health than
his performances. There are priorities.

 I'm sure his next incarnation will be even better than the last, and  he
can play as much and as long as he wants when I'm his audience...since it's
always innovative and brilliant which is the key to just who Jason Ricci is
as a performer. Funnily enough, my husband who isn't remotely interested in
 harmonica playing per se - is also a huge fan of Jason's and is  usually
more than willing to drive to any and every show within a  reasonable
distance.

I've said this before - no Convention is as good for me if  he's not in
attendance...he brings such an electricity to any SPAH or  Buckeye I've been
to..

To my ears there is never a re-run of the same tired old riffs with J.
Each show is a new adventure with each song played differently from  the last
time I heard it..but you'd have to be there and hear the performances  to
recognize just what he's doing. He also has never rested on his  laurels..never
'phoned in' a performance, never played it just to play it. Based  on the
whoops and cheers from  the rapt audiences (many of whom are  harmonica
players) everywhere he goes, I know I'm only one of thousands who feel  the same
way.

Very few harmonica players could carry it off the way he  does...IMO

Here's (again) a great audio performances of his - accompanying Heidi and
the ElCats on 'Going to California'...an oldie but goodie.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rePmSFHfh0_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rePmSFHfh0)

purely beautiful...his harmonica and her voice.

I've just read a very interesting series of comments on Adam Gussow's blog
going back to last April - on just what it is Jason does play as far as
Blues is  concerned.  Barbecue Bob Margulies had the very best comment and I'm
saving his for posterity.

Elizabeth

"Message: 9