Re: [Harp-L] Gimme shelter

yes it was kind of disappointing to actually hear Jager's harmonica, the song does seem to have potential for better harp though and I will have to find out exactly what key they plan on playing it in. I have listened to the song but I haven't had time to play over it yet so I'm thinking I might start off with a D harp, 3 draw and take it from there, as I don't have a F# nor am I presently planning on getting one,

On 9/14/2010 9:38 AM, martin oldsberg wrote:
> I've been asked to do the harp on Gimme Shelter, What harp was that played on?
>Thanks
>GaryB
The song is in C#m (C#m-B-A), and unless it´s pitch shifted (but I think they also do it live in Cm) one could assume that what little harp he is playing on the tune should be on a F# harmonica: it´s mainly two notes, as I recall it, tonic and 7th, basic draw bend.
But maybe it´s just that he draws on 3 on a D harp ...
My suggestion, if you don´t own a F#: play the tune in Cm or Dm; use a Bb or C harp -- 3 pos.
Or, if you´re just going to imitate Jagger´s solo (if so you don´t get many points in my book -- unless you´re an absolute beginner) use an F or G.
Normally I´d say 4 pos is the best for that kind of chord vamp, but that´s a matter of taste and chaqun son ...
Cheers,
Martin