Re: [Harp-L] Recommendations for an affordable first amp?

Sean Duncan wrote:
> I'm a beginning harmonica player but I'm really trying to improve to the
> point where I can feel comfortable playing at a few open-mic nights and
> busking. I've been searching for a good portable amp that I can use to
> learn
> amplified harp and then go on to use for busking. I'm not looking to spend
> more than Â100 ($155). Can anyone recommend an amp that would be good for
> this purpose? My favourite choice so far is the Roland Micro Cube, is this
> good harmonica amp?

I used to own a Micro Cube.  I would rate it a solid A as a guitar amp, and a B at best for harp.  I've seen some people on this list say that they got a great harp sound out of the Micro Cube, but I've never actually heard a harp player getting a great sound out of one.  I never could.  And I certainly tried.

The Vox DA5 is marginally more expensive, only slightly bigger in size and weight, louder, and a much better-sounding amp for harp.  (It also sounds very good with guitar.)  The amp has been discontinued by Vox, but can still be found easily on eBay.  Like the Roland, it runs on batteries--one set of alkalines will power it for something like 20 hours.

I very much doubt that any harp player will ever regret buying a DA5.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick