[Harp-L] Re: Can one make a living playing harp?

Playing 5 to 6 times a week doesn't mean you'll be making a living
playing harp.  You could play out much less than that and make a
living.  You could play out that much and not make a living.  The real
question here is do you want to make a living playing harp?  My
personal response has always been no.  However, I get to play out as
often as I want to and that's enough for me.

At risk of offending some of the list, it is often business sense and
not "talent" - which I think is a misleading term anyways - that
separates the pros from non-pros.  Especially starting out in this
era, getting/finding work on the harp will be a full-time job that
doesn't pay.  Add to that the fact that harp isn't all that popular
and most bands/musicians will dismiss you as a canidate as soon as you
mention you play harp.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I am encouraging you to really
evaluate what you need from playing harmonica and what is realistic in
achieving. I heard many a harmonica stud at SPAH who hardly ever gig
let alone make money playing harp...and they are way good too!  Look
at Jason Ricci and the difficulty he has had making a full-time living
playing harp.  There are others on the board who are some of the top
players in the world and they can't hardly get a gig.  Then there are
those of us who have great day jobs and get to play out at our leisure
and make a few bucks here and there.

To expand on the business sense comment, I sincerely believe, for most
musicians, that a solid ability on the instrument is enough to become
a pro.  Being an average musician is typically ok, and being a dynamo
can often hurt your chances of long term success.  If you read this
and really think about it, you know I am right.  Who has more talent
on harmonica - Jason Ricci or John Popper?  Who is has more money-
Robben Ford or John Mayer?  Miley Cyrus or Susan Tedeschi?  Joe
Bonamassa or the guitar player for Maroon 5?  Musical ability is
important, but maybe not even the most important thing.  Someone like
Rob is a rare cat - huge talent, specific niche, and making good
money...on harp!

That being said, there comes a point where the 8hrs a day of
woodshedding on harp needs to be cut down to 1 or 2 so the other 6 can
be sent on the business end.  The days of getting a band together and
making it huge like Cream, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, are over.
That just isn't the model that works anymore, fwiw.