Re: [Harp-L] chromatic advice

I dunno, John;  I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the virtues of 16-hole chromatics.. I've had (and presently have) several 16-hole chromatics that produce quite a big sound, as big as any 12-hole harp.

Yes, a larger instrument is more likely to leak as there's more surface area for leakage to occur. And I can remember 64s from the distant past that weren't great in that way.

But in the last 20 years they've been rather good for the most part. And certainly pros like William Galison and Damien Masterson are quite happy to play Hohner 64s and Super 64s. Pete Pedersen played the Hohner 280, as did John Sebastian, Sr. And of
course, there are blues players like Little Walter, Rod Piazza, Mark
Hummel, George Smith, Paul deLay, and so on, all playing 64s except when
 they want third position in a key other than D.

Of course there are additional choices for 16-hole instruments, both in higher-end Hohner models such as the Super 64x and offerings from other manufacturers, and you'll find  a variety of 16-hole chromatics in the hands of Stevie Wonder, Phil Caltebelotta, Tom Stryker, Clint Hoover, and Joe Powers, among many other highly accomplished artists.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com