Re: [Harp-L] Can one make a living playing harp?

<<
I'm new to the Harp world, but my ideal goal would be playing 5 to 6 nights
 a week playing harp. What do you more seasoned players think? And If
anyone has  any pointer on how to get my foot into the local (Philly area) scene
I am all  ears :)

~Joe

I have been a professional musician since the 1960s...
Yes it IS possible to make a living by playing harmonica.
But it sure isn't easy... Most "pro" musicians make their money  from
teaching, and not by performing!

I had my dad's family business to "fall back" on...
It was not music that put my 2 kids through school.
It was my late father's company, that I purchased from him when he retired,
 and that I then run for more than 25 years...  In the "SLUMP" a  couple of
years ago, that business went bust. Why? My clients went bankrupt  first,
and  then they simply couldn't pay me what they owed me.

I live now in south east Asia, because it is less expensive than England or
 America to reside here. I get about $12.00 USD, for a PROFESSIONAL gig in
this country. That's not enough to pay the rent, if I played 365 days a
year  even here.

Riches beyond the dreams of avarice!
Probably not.

And YES... I am still trying to "make it" as a harmonicist... I have been
called an "arrogant bastard"... MANY TIMES. Perhaps I intimidate other
people? I  know I'm a good player, I don't copy other players, I have my own
sound.

I don't know.
But...

I KNOW am not "humble" enough!

If you are a good musician, and if you are lucky, you can make a living
playing harp.... Or by playing any other musical instrument.

My 26 year old son is a world class actor... When he left college I said
"Johnny, why don't you try to make it as an actor"
He said:
"Daddy you are a world class harmonica player, & you haven't "made it"
yet! I'm going to be a computer professional, & not try to make it in the
performing arts... "

The SECRET to success in the music business is NETWORKING...
You don't even need to play good music, just so long as you can "talk the
talk"

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Harmonica player and blues singer.