Re: [Harp-L] Replacing whole reed plate concept seems WASTEFULL...â

It isn't a new thing.  I bought a Hard Bopper with screwed-on reeds from Farrell twenty years ago.  At that time  the main source of replacement reeds was cannibalizing old harps.  For that reason, I found it disappointing.  I still have the harp.  I'll trade it for a Saxony.

Even when you replace a screwed-on reed, it isn't likely to play immediately.  It has to be aligned in three degrees of freedom, gapped, and tuned.  I have found that screwed-on reeds frequently change their alignment when you tighten the screw.

If the the screw-hole in the plate is not exactly on the centerline of the slot, or if the hole in the base is not exactly on the centerline of the reed, then you must file the hole in the reed.  The tolerances are a few ten-thousanths of an inch so there is plenty of opportunity for the harp and reed manufacturer or you to (literally) screw it up.

Farrell used a 00-90 nut-and-bolt arrangement;  The tiny nuts require a special wrench, are easy to lose, and tricky to start. I don't know what system B-Rad uses for screwed-on reeds. They may have solved all of these problems. However,  I caution you not to get too rhapsodic about it until you have changed a few yourself.  You can't even get harps from them now.  What do you think the chances are of getting replacement reeds?

Vern