[Harp-L] Re: Tongue blocking and tone

Chris Michalek wrote:

there is no difference in tone between TB and Pucker

Steve replies:
That doesn't correspond to my experience. In 1997 I conducted tests in the Hohner acoustic lab in which I played various different notes on the same harp using both embouchures. We measured the overtone spectrum and found that TB strengthened the fundamental and weakened the first few overtone fractions in comparison to puckering. This is what prompted me to seriously start learning to TB single notes.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com