[Harp-L] T_Block

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:21:41 -0700
From: "John Dekker" <jdekker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and tone
To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

As a beginner, I pucker for everything, and find tongue blocking to be very difficult. Is it true that the great Chicago blues tone can only come from tongue blocking? I think I read that Little Walter and others tongue blocked most of the time. Is anyone getting "that" tone while puckering?

John-

I did a lot research on this I when I wrote "Masters of the Blues Harp." The precise use of techniques can be hard to nail down among the old players. James Cotton told me he T-blocks everything. Paul Butterfield, who I think got great tone, seems to have hardly used it if at all, making him unique among Chicago style players. But then again he was a flautist before taking up harmonica. Little Walter, Big Walter, & Sonny Boy I all used combinations of pucker and T-block, and LW even threw U-block in there, according to his biographers. I never determined whether Sonny Boy II puckered, but I'm sure he used T-block to a large extent. Charlie Musselwhite and Jerry Portnoy also combine pucker and T-block. I think it's safe to say you can't really get a classic 1950s Chicago sound without T-block, although some here might disagree. As for tone, there are many variables: openess of the throat, embouchure, diaphram usage, etc. No one had better tone than Walter Horton, who once said he got whatever sound he wanted by how he used his hands. So go figure. My adivice is continue to work on T-blocking, because it is IMO an essential Chicago blues harp technique.

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm