Subject: [Harp-L] That Time of Year Again...

I've used Blistex for years...am always on the look out for good lip balms
since I'm a dry player and need the moisture (so drink lots of water
before,  during and after playing as well)...have tried many different types to
prevent  my lips from peeling, and I've even played with rubbed-in lip glosses
on top of  the balms. Tried newly bought 'Bee Balms' at this SPAH - didn't
find them  any better than my old standby Blistex in the blue tub.  Not once
has  anything I've used on my lips ended up inside any of my chromatics to
'gum' up  the innards. Any residue it might leave on the outside of the
mouthpiece is  easily wiped away with alcohol swabs after playing.

FTR I do dismantle my chromatics regularly and have never found any
evidence of lip balms inside. I play CX-12's and Super 64's.

There are chromatic players who actually use vaseline and other  substances
on their slides to prevent friction...to my mind any substance  which can
attract dust and grit INside a chromatic is far more likely to gum up  the
works than anything applied to your lips, although I haven't tried  the
product you mention.

My .02 cents, fwiw.

Elizabeth

"Message: 10