Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention and Jon Gindick's Jamp Camp

I've been to half a dozen SPAH conventions, and I've taught at one of Jon Gindick's jam camps.  Jon's camp is a very different experience from SPAH. It is a more intense experience in many ways--the campers are encouraged in every way possible to focus their learning during the three days of a Camp weekend, to take advantage of the teaching staff, and to participate in the music making.

Jon's program is designed not only to inspire, but to produce specific results in a short period of time, and he delivers the goods.  Campers improve their playing and get more pleasure from playing, both of which are all good.  SPAH isn't designed to produce specific results for anyone--it's an experience, not a program, and the experience is mostly about sharing our feelings for the instrument, not progressing in a particular direction.  I think that's okay so far as it goes, but there's a limit to how far it goes.

SPAH might indeed learn something from what John does.  Focus is important.  Focus attracts.  I enjoy SPAH--in particular, I enjoy hanging out with great harmonica players whose work inspires me--which is why I keep coming back.  But neither the structure of the event, nor the audience, has changed a lot in the last few years.

What SPAH stands for is apparently able to draw an audience of 400 harmonica players and fans, some of which are among the best players in the world.  The core of that group is pretty stable, which is another way of saying that it's not growing.

But there are events for harmonica players in Asia that draw over 2,000, including hundreds of younger players.  What are they doing differently?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick