Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention

On Sep 6, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Tim Bete wrote:

I've never been to SPAH but the sales info I've read makes it sound like a huge convention that would be intimidating the new, casual player.

Not at all. I went to my first spah an intimidated scared bunny rabbit. I was immediately met by warm friendly people. Harmonica is the world's original grass roots instrument, and that aura attracts a certain following. You don't choose to play harmonica. It chooses you. IF you're of the right mind set.

I think Jon Gindick is on the right track with his Jam Camps. Jon is getting people who have never played before to spend a grand to come to his camps. I think he's successful partly because of how he describes the experience:
"A Limited Enrollment 5 Day Jamming and Learning Vacation...with a Focus on You"
"the Fundamentals of Blues and the Joys of Jamming"
"We love all levels of harmonica players. Raw Beginners: we have a strong program for you.. Including preseminar phone lesson. Advanced and intermediates: no worries, we offer separate classes on separate levels."
"Let Jon Gindick and some of the world's most talented player/ coaches help you go there and beyond."
I realize Jon's program has a narrower focus than SPAH but I think he's on to something. Jon's all about enjoying playing TODAY, even if it's the first time you've picked up a harp. People want immediate gratification and Jon delivers that combined with a long- term focus. When I hear about things like comb tests, it makes me think of high school science class, which doesn't conjure up memories of "fun." ;-)
I haven't been to Jon's Jam Camp yet but I'm saving my money. For me, the description of SPAH just isn't the same.

It IS true that you will play more at Jon's camps, but spah is an all around experience. It's not just playing. Its interacting. Interacting with some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. I have only played on 1 evening show in my 19 years. I don't care to. I would rather listen to the huge talent present. And maybe keep busy jamming and mingling. For me, it's all about the camaraderie. It's like harp-l..diversified.
smo-joe

Tim