[Harp-L] Powerbender and SPAH

I have a fairly restricted mindset when it comes to harmonicas. I like
high-end standard tuned harps and would prefer to sing in public juxtaposed
to playing an out of the box instrument that wouldn't allow me to employ the
nuances of the harmonica that is a hallmark or my style. I don't like
altered tuned harps probably because most of them spin my head or because
they don't allow me to be expressive in my own way.

Brendan Power's powerharp tuning changed my mindset on altered harps.  I
acquired one the day after SPAH and even though I was 100% harmonica'd out,
I found the Powerbender to be a fresh sound to my ears. I spent over two
full days playing with it and it's the first altered tuned harp that allows
me to play what I hear in my head. I love that my signature 11-12th
positions riffs are all available on this instrument via 2nd position.  I
love that all of my neo-soul, funk, jazz and blues lines are available
within one comfortable position.  Of all the special tunings, I've tried,
which is most, Brendan as simply nailed it with this one, this is the tuning
that really works and to me is the most practical.

SPAH was great this year.  The talent level of the younger players is
astounding and I'm inspired to work harder at my own music. The shows this
year where as good as I've ever heard and Howard Levy never ceases to amaze
me. The highlight for me was a jam session with Jimi Lee, Howard Levy, Todd
Parrot, Jay Gaunt and Alex Paclin aside from that moment, it was the
teaching. I LOVE teaching and helping others become better players, during
one of my sessions I was working with another very talented youngster in
Kalina Hutchins where I pushed her to her edge and was able to experience a
very powerful moment with her.  She had issues channeling her emotions into
her playing and I was able to help her access that level within her during a
completely ambiguous and improvised moment.  She was the star of my teach-in
this year and now that she has the skills, I'm looking forward to hearing
her music in the future.

The one drag about SPAH is every year, after SPAH, I get sick as a dog like
I am now.... SPAH really needs to address this issue!