Re: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apol...

Elizabeth said:
<<
I've just read John Walden's post - and am somewhat taken  aback by
his experiences. I took MY wood-bodied chroms to Arizona in 2006
(Bonfiglio's
Seminar at the Grand Canyon) - they were with me in Phoenix  and
Scottsdale
as well for vacation after, and two weeks previously I  had them  along
with
me at Denver, SPAH (extremely high  altitudes).   They  then came back with
me to extremely humid  Long Island, during the height of  moist weather
conditions here (I'm a  few miles from the water at just above  sea level).
didn't have  central air in my home at the time....exposing  them to nearly
as
extreme conditions as John has described in the  Philippines. At the  time
played Super 64's, 270's and 260's almost  exclusively. They all  survived
very nicely (sans humidor). I've had only one  single  chromatic body crack
over
the years - the twin of my favourite little   260. It happened far more
recently, and purely because the chromatic  was  dropped onto a hard
surface.

So what's to account for this - Am  I just lucky?  Or am I simply one  out
of hundreds of thousands of  wood-bodied chromatic owners who find the
whole
bias against wood just  a wee bit silly?

I guess I was just unlucky! On one particular day in particular... I'd
been playing my harmonicas on a sunny patio out in the desert at lunchtime, in
100 degree heat... I then drove two hours up into the mountains to play an
out-door gig at a barbeque party... It was, unexpectedly,  about 30 degrees
 F, and it REALLY felt cold!  Water was literally freezing in the  plastic
cups.

Not only did my harmonica combs split... But the crystal in my JT-30  mic
also died that same evening. I honestly don't see what I could have  done to
prevent it... But of course by the time I realised what  had happened, it
was too late anyway. And no, I didn't drop the instruments  onto a hard
surface.

I have nothing against wood as a comb material, it's just that I have had
too many chromatic harmonica pearwood combs split on me!

Best wishes,
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines