Subject: [Harp-L] Country tuning name change

Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:03:52 -0400captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
" Re country tuning, isn't that called Paddy Richter tuning when both the 5
hole draw and the 9 hole are raised a half step?  I use CT a lot and haven't
missed the raised 9th hole, but then again, i've never tried it."

NO - Paddy Richter is opposite of CT.  3B raised but 5D not.
Let's memorize this:  Holes 3B, 5D and 9D on a C harp

1) Richter (Standard German, etc)
3B = G	5D = F	9D = F

2) Paddy Richter
3B = A	5D = F	9D = F

3) Country Tuned (also "jazz harp")
3B = G	5D = F#	9D = F

4) Smokey Tuning
3B = G	5D = F# 	9D = F#

5) Melody Maker = (Smokey + Paddy)
3B = A	5D = F#	9D = F#

See http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/alt_tunings.shtml

I'm sure Richard Hunter or some other tuning wiz will correct me if wrong.
I like them all, by the way.  I may have convinced Smokey at SPAH to give MM
a try.

And I agree with Jerl that Maj7 is a much better name for 3) or 4) !!!

Fred S