Re: [Harp-L] Country tuning name change

On Sep 2, 2010, at 2:36 PM, dfwhoot wrote:

I recommend changing the phrase " Country Tuning" to " Major 7th tuning " or whatever to clear people minds that it is used for all genres of music and not just Country.
Jerl Welch

I agree 100% hero. When I listen to your Nashville tape, I hear country. Some of the best I have ever heard, btw. But it can be used for much more. I grew up in the doo-wop era and have played a tuning I came up with in 1959. I tune the 5 & 9 draws UP one sharp.

It opened up a plethora of pop and rhythm tunes that heretofore couldn't be done without switching to 2, 3 or even 4 other harps. (if diatonic, of course). My tuning is commonly known now as 'double country'. Another misnomer.

Phil Duncan did a seminar at spah about country tuning. He said that it wasn't necessary to also raise the #9. Well, if you play up there a lot, it IS necessary.

smo-joe