Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

I used to feel the same way about this. I was certain that the wood must make a difference and thought that's why my 270s sounded sweeter than any of my other chroms. I've played 270s since I was a little kid and am very familiar with the way they feel and sound.

Then, a number of years ago, I purchased a customized 270 with an acrylic comb. I just knew it wouldn't sound the same but wanted to hear what it did sound like. I have tried my own blindfold test comparing a new 270 (wood) to the custom one (acrylic) multiple times. I have recorded the results in my studio. At first I couldn't believe it. I can not tell the difference at all, either while playing or listening back. They both sound great, and have that classic 270 sound. So, this changed my mind on the subject. I no longer think the comb material affects the sound at all.

That's not to say that someone with different or better ears couldn't tell the difference, but this simple test convinced me that it doesn't matter at all to _me_. ;-)

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com
www.JazzHarmonicaSummit.com
www.SlideManSlim.com/blog