Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:34 PM, Pat Powers wrote:

I think your test was fine, and the data was conclusive.

But WAS it? Not being argumentative, but was it?

The comb material does not have much -- if any -- effect on tone or play-ability.

Hmm, the way I'm reading it is that while the comb material wasn't proven to affect tone, it also wasn't DIS-proven. It doesn't seem like anything was proven (or dis-proven). Maybe I'm a little dense here, but if I were to take this to court, it would be a fiasco.

I 've been fighting this debate with the wood-comb traditionalists for years -

I wouldn't think that it was necessary to fight. You feel one way, someone else feels another. They shouldn't shove their feeling down your throat and you should have the same restraint.

- My stand is that there is absolutey no benefit to having a wooden comb.

Which is an excellent stand. And I agree. I happen to have mostly wooden combed chromatics. Something of a rarity these days.

They swell, they warp, they crack, the finish comes off - in other words, it's a terrible base material.

I agree, but I haven't had them warp or crack. The cracking is usually prevalent in chromatics that have been stored for a relatively long period. (Like 4.5 to 5 years...or more). Once a wooden chromatic has been played, it should be continued to be played. Just like it is a bad idea to take a wooden boat in and out of the water a lot.

In todays world with so many hybrid composite materials available, I can't understand why anyone would intentionally want a wooden comb.

I see your point, but on the other hand, a person may like the Hohner 270 model and those come only with a wooden comb. If it were a matter of giving up the sound I like (most important) in favor of a plastic comb (which you say makes no difference in sound), I will opt for the sound.

Some traditionalists claim the wood comb sounds warmer. To that I say, HOGWASH!!!

You're entitled to your opinion but if you put a 270 on a plastic comb, the sound may not change but the feel does. The vibrations change. While this may not be noticable to the listeners, sometimes the player is sensitive to it.

And, now I think your test proves it -- the comb material doesn't matter!

Ahem, again I say that nothing was proven...either way. That's why I asked if we were back to square 1, and, to take it farther, were we now allowed to go back to using descriptive words to voice our feelings about how we felt about a harmonica, OR were the wording/ semantics police still going to browbeat anyone who used the words: warm, soft, velvet, smooth, soft edged, biting, sharp, dark, etc.

The only requirements of the base material is that it is dense, non- porous, easy to machine, is planarized well (nice and flat), and won't warp or crack.

I'm not sure that porous isn't a benefit. My wood combed chromatics don't seem to have the wind saver problems that my plastic combed ones do. I surmised that this could be because the wood is open celled and porous and will absorb a small amount of vapor? But I can't prove it, so I would never make a definite claim and expect it to be taken as the gospel of St. Joseph. That's the difference with me. I don't foist my opinions on others. They are free to have a life.

Perfect case in point, the Hohner Special-20, it sounds sweet and warm, and it has a plastic comb.

I like em. I play spl-20s exclusively when I play diatonic.

Add that SPAH test results, and I'd say that's pretty conclusive. I'm convinced the comb material really doesn't matter. The sound comes from the reeds, the cover cavity, and the players technique.

Ok, I can acquiesce to that.

smo-joe

-- My 2 cents

patpowers@xxxxxxxxxxx