Re: [Harp-L] I'm NOT Alone!

I just wanted to add one more perspective. It doesn't happen with time, at
least with me. I have to work hard and try to think hard what might fit the
song I'm currently playing in. It's really hard to 'hear' the licks and
solos I've memorized when another totally different song is going on. I
really have to try hard to conjur them up in the midst of the chaos of
another song and think if they "fit". Some of them are more specifric (i.e.
rumba) so easier. Some of them I practice specifically with certain songs
that I know will come up often at the jam so that makes it easier when they
do. That said, I still often just don't bother and free-form it or screw it
up :^)

When I was beginning, I found those learning materials that said "oh, here's
a pile of I chord licks, and here's a pile of IV chord licks, and here's a
pile of V chord licks, and I imagined myself just memorizing that catalog
and inserting them at my leisure during playing. That never happened (yet),
haha. But I agree that learning them is useful for technique and eventually
they do find their way in some form in the free-form soloing.

Bill Hines